gdm -- keyboard disabled

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Mon Jul 12 03:51:21 PDT 2004

On 11-Jul-2004 Jeremy Nickurak wrote:
> Did you ever find a solution to your keyboard lockup problem under
> gdm? I've recently started getting exactly the same problem myself.

Yes, I haven't had that problem in a good while now.

Try doing a "portupgrade -f gdm2", then copy
/usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d/gdm.sh.sample to /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d/gdm.sh and run
the script to test:

/usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d/gdm.sh start

Using the default "factory" configuration, the problem just went away.

Of course, I've been doing a *lot* of forced portupgrades lately
besides just this one (on a new AMD Athlon 64 box, which is blindingly
fast, running an amd64 build of FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT, so the time it
takes to do so is now negligible/tolerable), as I'm still experiencing
these total system lockups quite a bit (which I suspect are also
Gnome-related, as they only seem to happen when Gnome is running), so
it's also possible that I benefitted from reinstalling something else
as well.

Let us know how it goes.  I'll Cc: this to the freebsd-gnome list just
in case others have the same question.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads at cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"