Probelsm with "Add File Type"

Rob Mason masonr at bsdbox.homeunix.com
Fri Jul 2 10:27:42 PDT 2004

I've has a problem with file associations under Gnome 2.6.2 on STABLE.
I first noticed this when I attempted to associate 'chm' files with
/usr/X11R6/bin/xchm.  The 'Add File Type' dialog box has no effect - the
settings appear to save OK, but the /usr/X11R6/bin/xchm entry
disappears.  This behaviour is also present with other file types.  The
built-in file types such as pdf work fine.

Any ideas?

Tried this as root and non-root.  Tried a brand new user (to get default
Gnome settings).  Found a vague reference to Perl on Google - I am on
the ports version (5.8.2)...

TIA