Build of Mozilla failed

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Sat Jan 24 00:50:38 PST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 15:55, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> I suppose that's another thing to try out and see if it's stable enough
> for me to use...

A lot of people are using this as their primary browser.

> > > - I have some trouble with the ordinary mozilla, will this be solved by
> > >   installing mozilla-devel or mozillafirebird?
> >
> > Not sure.  What problems?
>
> Slow loading of pages, some parts of pages are not displayed.  Would
> have to look into the page sources to find out why (perhaps it's
> javascript or something like that).  I also see that my KDE color
> preferences mess up how the toolbar looks.

I haven't noticed any problems like that.  Do you have some example
pages?  Since I don't use KDE, I don't have a suggestion on that.
Perhaps kde@ could offer more insight.

> > > - What are the -gtk2 and -bonobo versions?
> >
> > The gtk2 version is needed for building gtk2-based browsers like galeon2
> > and epiphany which require Mozilla as a base.  mozilla-bonobo is a
> > Mozilla plug-in that enables one to embed bonobo controls into Mozilla
> > (e.g. ggv, gpdf, gnumeric, etc.).
>
> And, eh, do I need it?

If you have a lot of GNOME apps installed, and you like to view things
like PDF documents, spreadsheets, word processor documents, etc.
directly in your browser, then you'll want it.

>   I was hoping for an answer like "it runs faster
> but requires installing GTK2" or "uses more memory and doesn't offer
> more features".

The -gtk2 version is prettier, but it is the same basic browser.  If you
don't need gtk2 support, don't install it.

> [...]
>
> > > - Do I have to try them all out to be able to decide what works for me?
> >
> > Or ask others.  I use galeon2 as my primary browser, and only bring up
> > Firebird for certain apps.  This means I also have mozilla-gtk2
> > installed.
>
> As it is now the answer is probably "install them all, you never know
> which one you need to use" :-).

I don't install all of them.  I have mozilla-gtk2 (only because it's
needed for galeon2), and mozilla-firebird because I need it for a work
application where galeon doesn't cut it for JavaScript reasons.

> > > Would be very nice if there is a page on www.freebsd.org that explains
> > > all this.
> >
> > Perhaps this is something we can add if someone steps up to write some
> > content.
>
> Considering how much effort it has been to make all these ports,
> explaining people what the differences are can't be that much work.
> Unless the porters don't want anyone to know about their efforts...

Finding the right place for this is the hard part.  We could add another
project section (i.e. www.freebsd.org/mozilla), but that will take
approval from doc@, and someone to build the content.  However, it's
something we should do.

> > > I already discovered that flashplugin-mozilla stinks.  And it appears to
> > > be slow.  I went back to my Netscape 7.1 (linux version) for now.  But I
> > > can't manage to make Java work with that one, while it does work with
> > > mozilla (native).
> >
> > You may want to look at the flashpluginwrapper for the native Mozilla.
> > This will require 4.9 or better (and with 4.X, you'll need a base OS
> > patch as well).
>
> I'm still running 4.8.  I only upgrade once in a while (takes too much
> time and always causes new trouble).  Sounds complicated, I'll stick
> with Netscape 7.1 and run mozilla when I need Java.  One annoying thing:
> can't run them at the same time, because when starting mozilla it sees
> that Netscape is running and opens a tab inside it...

Right.  Netscape/Mozilla wants to talk with already running instances.
Though you can run Galeon and Firebird or Mozilla at the same time.