gnomevfs2 and gnomevfs-extras

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Fri Feb 6 13:20:49 PST 2004

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 15:51:33 -0500, Adam Weinberger <adamw at magnesium.net>
wrote:

> okay, i'm seeing a problem in my latest 2.5 build, and i am only on a
> quick break between classes so i cannot investigate. but, here's the
> deal (this is from a 2.5 system, but it might be true of a 2.4 system
> too):
>
> gnome2-power-tools depends upon libsmb.so, to be installed as part of
> gnomevfs-extras. on my latest run, gnomevfs-extras never got installed.
>
> turns out gnomevfs2 built (and i assume installed) a libsmb.so. i don't
> know if gnomevfs-extras also builds one and it conflicts, or what.

Umm, weird.. gnome2-power-tools should install gnomevfs-extras, because
there's no conflict in between gnomevfs2 and gnomevfs-extras. I just
installed gnome2-power-tools and it does install the libsmb.so.

> 1) does gnomevfs2 install libsmb.so?

Nope, but FreeBSD does. Here has 5.2-CURRENT and Gnome 2.5.x, btw..

========================
# ls /usr/lib | grep smb
libsmb.a
/usr/lib/libsmb.so
/usr/lib/libsmb.so.1

# ls /usr/X11R6/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/ | grep smb
[...empty...]
========================

I don't have gnomevfs-extra install, so I don't have any libsmb.so from
Gnome stuff.

> 2) does gnomevfs-extras install libsmb.so?

Yep, it should as far it does to my system.. I just went to
x11/gnome2-power-tools and installed, so here's the result:

========================
# ls /usr/X11R6/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/ | grep smb
libsmb.so

# pkg_info | grep gnomevfs
gnomevfs-extras-0.99.13_1 A plugin for gnomevfs2 to browse smb shares with
nautilus2
gnomevfs2-2.5.6_1   GNOME Virtual File System

# pkg_info | grep power
gedit2-2.5.3_1      A small but powerful text editor for Gnome 2 Desktop
Enviro
gnome2-power-tools-2.5.3 "Geektoys" for the GNOME 2 power user
========================

> 3) should gnome2-power-tools depend upon something else?

I don't think, because it install fine to me.

> 4) does gnomevfs2 conflict with gnomevfs-extras?

Impossible, gnomevfs-extras is designed to add stuff with gnomevfs.

> 5) is this also a problem in 2.4?

No idea..

> 6) heheheehe "feebsd" ::D gg

# echo 'CONFLICTS=freebsd' >> /usr/ports/human/adamw/Makefile ? :-)

--
bsdforums.org 's moderator, mezz.