nautilus cd write failure with -current

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Sun Aug 29 01:52:44 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 02:37, Sean McNeil wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 22:50, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 19:36, Sean McNeil wrote:
> > > I just tried something that worked not too long ago - writing a cd.  Now
> > > I get the following error:
> > >
> > > :-( write failed: Invalid argument
> > > :-[ WRITE at LBA=0h failed with SK=5h/ASC=21h/ACQ=02h]: Invalid argument
> > > /dev/pass0: "Current Write Speed" is 1.0x1385KBps.
> >
> > Hmmm, I'll have to take a look.  However, if this used to work, perhaps
> > something in -CURRENT broke it.  What other changes have been made
> > recently?  Can you burn a CD using cdrecord directly?
>
> Actually, I just tried a few things:
>
> cdrecord directly and I can blank=fast
> after that, I can write to the CD.
> If I try to write to the CD with "Erase CD" checked then I get the
> error.  So it is erasing that is not functioning properly for me.

It looks like n-c-b does it all with one command.  With the "Erase CD"
box checked, the command will look something like:

cdrecord speed=<speed> dev=<dev> blank=fast -v

Of course, many more options may be appended depending on certain
things.  Debugging n-c-b can be tricky since it's a Nautilus component.
You can try editing cd-recorder.c, and changing the line:

#undef DEBUG_CDRECORD

to:

#define DEBUG_CDRECORD 1

Then restart Nautilus, and watch your console or ~/.xsession-errors.  If
nothing is written there, you may need to start Nautilus from the
command line, then try the CD burn.  The results of this should prove
helpful in tracking down the problem.  However, I have a strong feeling
that the command line produced by n-c-b will also fail if run
manually....

Joe