Installing fonts for Gnome

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Thu Aug 26 22:19:58 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 21:27, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> I'm running Gnome 2.6 and have been trying to find out how to add new
> fonts to Gnome. More specifically, I have a dual system with FreeBSD and
> Windows. I'd like to be able to use the Windows fonts, especially the
> TrueType fonts, in FreeBSD and Gnome.
>
> I've been looking for any documentation on this, but have struck out to
> this point.
>
> Any ideas where I might find this information? Does anyone know if this
> is Gnome specific or an X issue or some combination.

XFree86 and X.Org can both make use of TrueType Windows fonts.  I keep
all of mine in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType.  There is a good
section in the handbook on using fonts in X:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-fonts.html

It also talks about configuring fontconfig to control font properties.
Some of this information can also be found in the FreeBSD GNOME FAQ at
http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html.

Joe