please test gdesklets-0.30 on 4.x

Pav Lucistnik pav at FreeBSD.org
Mon Aug 16 10:09:14 PDT 2004

V po, 16. 08. 2004 v 18:57, Franz Klammer píše:

> > calendar
> >
> > can't load sensor Calendar.
> >

> found a solution/workaround:
> Calendar try to import a module that doesn't exist any more in 0.30.
>
> attached a patch (hi! mezz ;-)).
>
> think we should not remove gdesklets-0.26 from ports tree instead
> it should be still there a gdesklets-old or something like that.
> i'm sure there are more desklets who cause problems after the update.

Haven't tested the patch, but I want to comment on this issue. I think
keeping gdesklets-0.26 in tree is not a good idea. 0.30 is new, prefered
version by authors and authors of desklets will have to cope with it,
rather faster than slower, as people will upgrade to 0.30 and old
desklets will break. There is no future in 0.26, at this point no one is
going to write a new desklet for 0.26 incompatible with 0.30.

So patching desklets to be compatible with both versions - yes,
keeping two ports of gdesklets core - no.

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav at oook.cz>
              <pav at FreeBSD.org>

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.