Monodoc on FreeBSD: Success!

Christopher Nehren apeiron at comcast.net
Fri Aug 13 07:34:20 PDT 2004

I've just gotten Monodoc 1.0.0 to build and run [1] on FreeBSD, with a small
(thread-related) patch[2]. This is cool not only because it marks one more .NET
program that works on FreeBSD (and a nice one at that), but it opens the door
for its dependencies, such as the illustrious MonoDevelop.

I couldn't get this to build until today, after I updated my -CURRENT.
My theory is that there's been some changes in libpthread between when I
first moved to -CURRENT and when I updated. I'll have a FreeBSD port
ready sometime soon, and I'd appreciate it if people with different
OSRELs would test this, see if it works, and tell me their OSREL and
libmap.conf situation. For the record, my OSREL is 502128 and I have my
libmap.conf set up to work with nVidia drivers with mono mapped as John
Merryweather Cooper suggested in a previous post.

[1]: Proof: http://prophecy.dyndns.org/~apeiron/monodoc-on-freebsd.png
Yes, I know, I use the gtk-bluecurve theme. RedHat does one thing well,
and that's look nice :-).

[2]: See my previous message to this list, entitled "Mono core dumping if mcs
is called with -pkg". The workaround is to call pkg-config in backticks, which
is what my patch to Makefile.in does. When Mono / libpthread work nicely with
one another, that patch will be obsoleted and thence removed. I'll also be
investigating why this causes Mono to core dump.

pejorative meaning "stupid and unsophisticated".  -- Ken Thompson
-