Globally busted MIME in 2.7.90

Christopher Nehren apeiron at comcast.net
Thu Aug 12 10:09:06 PDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 12:40:06 EDT, Joe Marcus Clarke scribbled these
curious markings:
> What kind of MIME types?  I'm not having any problems opening files with
> registered MIME types in Nautilus-2.7.3.  Note: C files, for example,
> will not open by default unless you assign a handler to them.

HTML files, images (which I had previously assigned to view with feh,
available in ports), the "Computer" location in Nautilus -- or any other
location in Nautilus that isn't an on-disk file, archives: basically
everything.

Also, if I try to associate /usr/X11R6/bin/gedit with C files in the "Open
With" tab under the Properties dialog of a .c file, it doesn't show up in the
list view of that tab.

> I'm not seeing this.  However, I don't have gthumb2 installed on my
> GNOME 2.7 machines.  I imagine you do?

Yes, I do, as it's a dependency of gnome2-fifth-toe-2.7.4. Removing gthumb2
fixes the catalog view problem. But I'd like to think that there's a better
solution that doesn't break gnome2-fifth-toe, since I use a number of its
applications extensively and like having the metapackage available to install
them. Perhaps there's a preference in gthumb somewhere? A cursory browse
through gconf-editor didn't show anything. (there's also a healthy lack
of descriptions for gthumb2's keys. Sigh.)

pejorative meaning "stupid and unsophisticated".  -- Ken Thompson
-