Globally busted MIME in 2.7.90

Christopher Nehren apeiron at comcast.net
Thu Aug 12 09:34:20 PDT 2004

I've been tracking GNOME 2.7 for a while now, and I noticed that after
the new MIME scheme was introduced that Nautilus refuses to open
things[1] with an error message:

"Couldn't display ${FILE}.

There was an error launching the application."

In addition to this, all of my directories in Nautilus open in catalogue
view by default, which is pretty useless as it doesn't display any icons
whatsoever unless I browse to a directory with only images. I've done
my best to make sure that I'm running the latest version of everything
(I just upgraded gnomevfs2, as a matter of fact), and I've tried using a
dummy user to verify that it's not my user's settings. The dummy user
sees the same problems. Am I the only one experiencing this?

[1]: This happens with everything: HTML files, .pod files, images, etc.
I also don't have the nice context menus shown on the "What's new in
GNOME 2.8?" site.

pejorative meaning "stupid and unsophisticated".  -- Ken Thompson
-