portupgrade failed on gedit

Adam Weinberger adamw at magnesium.net
Sat Apr 17 19:58:32 GMT 2004

>> (04.17.2004 @ 1549 PST): Nick Christenson said, in 1.0K: <<
> > Did you follow the upgrade instructions at:
> > 	http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq26.html
>
> Nope.
>
> > If not, any messiness that exists, you've brought upon yourself.
> >
> > As you can see below, gtksourceview and libgnomeprintui haven't been
> > upgraded yet. Please follow the directions in the webpage referenced
> > above, or at least run 'portupgrade -a' instead of just upgrading
> > applications and skipping the libraries......
>
> Uh, maybe it's just me, but if gedit2 requires the upgrade of the
> libraries, shouldn't they get upgraded automatically if I run
> "portupgrade -rR" like I did?
>
> No need for a response.  I thought I was doing you guys a favor.
>> end of "Re: portupgrade failed on gedit" from Nick Christenson <<

Unfortunately, this is a problem generated specifically by the GNOME
upgrade. New dependencies were introduced in the new version of Gedit2.
portupgrade -rR only updates the libraries that were previously depended
upon for Gedit2. portupgrade isn't currently smart enough to check for
new dependencies.

That's exactly what the upgrade script is there to manage. Other than
upgrading stuff in a couple runs and having failures each time, it lets
you do it all in one shot.

I don't know of any better way to handle the upgrade. This will surely
be a problem in future releases too, so if you know of any way to make
the process run smoother, please do let us know.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger
adamw at magnesium.net || adamw at FreeBSD.org