Unbreak GTK12 look under GNOME2 and KDE3

Alexander Kabaev kan at freebsd.org
Sat Apr 17 13:35:10 GMT 2004

On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 03:48:39AM -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-04-16 at 00:53, Alexander Kabaev wrote:
> > Attached patch-gtk::gtkrc.c file replaces existing patch-ad file in
> > gtk12/files directory. In addition to patch-ad changes, this file makes
> > gtk to _always_ prepend default gtk config file to the list of files,
> > supplied by environment.  /usr/X11R6/share/themes/Default/gtk/gtkrc
> > provides sane defaults and makes gtk12 default font to be of normal size
> > again.
> >
> > Consider committing it to the port, please.
>
> What about something slightly different.  What if we test for the
> existence of each file in $GTK_RC_FILES, and only add the default paths
> if that none of the files listed in that variable exist (or rather can
> be stat'd).  See the attached (runtime untested) patch.
>
> I think this might be more true to the spirit of original code.
>
> Joe

All the files in the list except the first one only supply overrides
to default values, set in the first file. Apparently, Linux distributions
expect this file to live in /etc/gtk/gtkrc. Doing what you suggest is little
too true to the spirit of original code, as it does not solve anything and
does not fix anything. Neither Gnome nor KDE set default fonts in files
they write out.

Alternatively, we could hunt down all the /etc/gtk/gtkrc lovers in the
tree and patch them to point to the right file instead, but I would still
prefer the big hammer solution proposed with my original patch.
--
Alexander Kabaev