gnome settings daemon failing to start

Brian Gruber lists at bgruber.isa-geek.com
Fri Apr 16 01:47:00 GMT 2004

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 09:56:34AM +1000, Andrew Thomson wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 15:09, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> > > Sorry to be a pain,, no love after saving session and restarting..
> > >
> > > Is this the normal output from gnome-settings-daemon ?
> > >
> > > /usr/X11R6/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon
> > >                                                                                 ** (gnome-settings-daemon:76363): WARNING **: Unexpected error in waitpid() (No child processes)
> > >
> > > ** (gnome-settings-daemon:76363): WARNING **: Command xrdb -merge failed
> > >
> > > ** (gnome-settings-daemon:76363): WARNING **: Unexpected error in
> > > waitpid() (No child processes)
> >
> > These messages are normal when I start g-s-d manually via a remote X
> > DISPLAY.  I don't know why it's not starting for you automatically.
> > Perhaps it has something to do with your environment.  How do you start
> > GNOME?  What environment settings do you have?
> >

> Thanks for the assistance Joe.
>
> Just start a gnome-session from my .xinitrc
>
> However given everything works fine for other users I'll start tampering
> with my own account... I'll try and remove a few of the other
> directories Mezz suggested.

I had what sounds like the same problem when I first upgraded.  I
verified it was a settings problem at the time by making a new user,
who was able to log into gnome just fine.  I believe the magic thing
to do was wipe out my gconf settings.  This is a bit tricky though, as
you need to make sure that the gconfd stuff isn't running when you do
it.  There's probably a "right way," but I just made sure i had no
processes running with the exception of a shell and then deleted
"~/.gconf*".  I suppose that I had some setting or inconsistency in
gconf that the new gconf didn't like, though I never really figured
out what it was.

/brian