VTE w/ new patch makes skip frame (feel slow) when type..

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Sun Apr 11 00:07:23 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-04-10 at 18:24, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I can type very fast and I hold down key like down or up pretty often for
> PR. With the new patch of VTE that has been added looks like this:
>
> files/patch-src_vte.c:
> =======================================
> [...]
>
> -#define VTE_CHILD_INPUT_PRIORITY	G_PRIORITY_DEFAULT_IDLE
> +#define VTE_CHILD_INPUT_PRIORITY	G_PRIORITY_LOW
>
> [...]
>
> -#define VTE_COALESCE_TIMEOUT		2
> +#define VTE_COALESCE_TIMEOUT		50
> =======================================
>
> This cause the type 'feel like' slow, but itself is faster than before in
> the benchmark (below). I am not sure what's right word for it but it's
> almost like game or video frame per sec. However, with this patch; it
> skips the frame that make it fee like slow. If I remove above patch and it
> feels much more smoother and faster. So... I decided to try to change from
> 50 to 25/15 and it works a lot better!

I guess this depends on the video card.  I tested this patch for a long
time, and never noticed an interactivity slow-down.  However, that
number is really a "feel" kind of thing.  Let's face it, vte is slow,
and it just takes tweaking to get it to feel better.

I'll play with 15 some, and see what I find.

> Benchmark:
> =======================================
> $ time ls -R /usr/ports
>
> With above patch:
> 	13.91 real	0.24 user	1.13 sys
> 	hold 'a' key and skip frame like at the every three 'a'; it feels slower.
>
> With above patch and 50 -> 25:
> 	13.91 real	0.33 user	1.04 sys
> 	hold 'a' key and no skip frame; it feels smoother and faster.
>
> With above patch and 50 -> 15:
> 	14.08 real	0.28 user	1.08 sys
> 	hold 'a' key and no skip frame; it feels smoother and faster.
>
> Without above patch:
> 	21.89 real	0.28 user	1.12 sys
> 	hold 'a' key and no skip frame; it feels smoother and faster.
> =======================================
>
> So far, I think 15 is the better number to use because it feels more
> smoother and faster. Also, that include in the real benchmark is still
> fast. Can anyone test the default one from offical ports tree then try
> this patch (vte.diff) in attach?
>
> Off point, I played with the benchmark:
> =======================================
> $ time ls -R /usr/ports
>
> aterm: 3.40 real	0.47 user	1.23 sys
> xterm: 6.47 real	0.34 user	1.38 sys
> gnome: 13.91 real	0.33 user	1.04 sys

Be careful.  When doing benchmarks, you want to make sure you just don't
run one after the other, and time them.  The first one will be extra
slow as it builds the inode cache.  What I did was run a full ls -lR in
xterm, then immediately ran it again and timed it.  then I repeated for
gnome-terminal.  I found xterm to be exceptionally fast (much faster
than your numbers here).

Joe