5.1-RELEASE / gnome-2.4 / too many files open

Mark Hannon markhannon at optusnet.com.au
Sat Sep 27 18:24:08 PDT 2003


> The desktop starts, I can open nautilus, but when I try to open a
> sub-directory the system bogs down
> and eventually I get a message saying 'too many open files'.  At this
> point the system is unusable, it
> is not possible to start a new command, login from another terminal
etc.
> Killing XFree makes things
> usable again.

Send a copy of your kernel config as well as the output or limit for
your GNOME user.

tbird:~> limit
cputime 	unlimited
filesize 	unlimited
datasize 	524288 kbytes
stacksize 	65536 kbytes
coredumpsize 	unlimited
memoryuse 	unlimited
vmemoryuse 	unlimited
descriptors 	3607
memorylocked 	unlimited
maxproc 	1803  s
bsize 	unlimited
tbird:~> uname -a
FreeBSD tbird.home.lan 5.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE #0: Thu Jun  5
02:55:42 GMT 2003
root at wv1u.btc.adaptec.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

tbird:~> pstat -T
3049/4008 files
0M/490M swap space

This was taken from a terminal directly after logging into gnome.

I spent some more time yestereday trying to dig into things and
discovered that I have quite
a few gnome programs that are linked to libraries in
/usr/local/lib/compat/pkg.  Including lots
that use atk.so.200 ... the funny thing is they are also use atk.so.400
as well.

Should I delete the contents of /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg and rebuild
these packages?  Could that
be the cause of the problems?

Rgds/mark



More information about the freebsd-gnome mailing list