ports/57333: gnomevfs2 will not build when bind84-base-8.4.1 is installed

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Thu Nov 27 10:50:22 PST 2003

The following reply was made to PR ports/57333; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at FreeBSD.org>
To: Kenneth Stailey <kstailey at yahoo.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org, ports at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: ports/57333: gnomevfs2 will not build when bind84-base-8.4.1
	is installed
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 13:46:04 -0500

 --=-+WKwDgs1VenmNZWjWynB

 On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 10:58, Kenneth Stailey wrote:
 > Nonstandard installations???  I'm using the ports tree.  I will accept th=
 at you
 > don't want to do any work on this but I draw the line at me being accused=
  of
 > using a non-standard installation when it's really the FreeBSD ports tree=
  that
 > is not compatible with itself.

 By "nonstandard" I refer to the fact that you have overwritten header
 files included in the OS with versions included in the ports tree.  This
 is not a standard thing.  Not everyone has this configuration.  In fact,
 you are the only one that has _ever_ reported this problem.  Given that,
 and since you know how to workaround the problem locally, I am not
 inclined to hack the gnomevfs2 port to work with this.  Should bind84
 make it into the official base OS, I imagine the necessary symbols will
 be added to libc (thus this will never be a problem for standard FreeBSD
 installations); or, if not, I will revisit the issue.

 Joe