ports/50482: gnome-session will not start on 4.8-RC, X 4.3,

Joe Kelsey joek at mail.flyingcroc.net
Mon Mar 31 08:50:00 PST 2003

Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> Actually, if gnome-session fails, so should all GTK+-2 apps.  Can you
> xhost back any app?  Since you're getting the pango "Can't find fonts"
> error, either the fonts-cache-1 files are empty or you can't read them.
> Does GNOME work for root, BTW?

My test setup is the following in /root/.xinitrc:

#!/bin/sh
truss gnome-session >/tmp/truss-sess 2>&1

If I remove /root/.xinitrc, startx produces the expected result of the
default three xterms with clock and whatever.  I still cannot start any
gnome apps since none of the gnome infrastructure is running.

You have seen the truss output.  Clearly, fontconfig is reading
substantial font-cache files, as you can tell from the truss output.  If
you haven't perused the truss output, maybe you should do so.  Notice
the multiple reads of 16384 bytes at a time from various font cache
files.  Clearly there are a number of non-empty font cache files.

Also, *something* is preventing gdm2 from running on my systems.  X
starts normally, but gdm dies.  I cannot tell where it dies.  I have no
idea which of the multiple gdm forks is dying.  I do not know which fork
to try to debug.  I do not know how to get gdm to print out any sort of
meaningful error messages anywhere.  Setting the debug flag in gdm.conf
produces completely useless syslog output.

/Joe