Startup message in GNOME

Paul Calabrese pcalabrese at adelphia.net
Sat Jun 14 10:12:49 PDT 2003

Hi

I'm running FreeBSD Release 4.4. and trying to get GNOME working. When I
start GNOME with xinit command I get the following start up message:

Could not look up internet address for PRC.buf.adelphia.net. This will
prevent GNOME from operating correctly. It may be possible to correct the
problem by adding PRC.buf.adelphia.net to the file /etc/hosts.

I looked at /etc/hosts with ee getting the following:

L:1 C:1
::1
127.0.0.1    localhost.buf.adelphia.net localhost
24:50:123:29 PRC.buf.adelphia.net

also if I ping PRC.adelphia.net
I get the response
64 bytes from 24.50.123.29 icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time 35.64 ms
                 .
                 .
                 .
64 bytes from 24.50.123.29 icmp_seq=4 ttl=255 time 223.78 ms

5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0% packets lost

Also, I have Windows NT 4.0 installed on the same machine and the internet
connection works.

I would appreciate any help, I can't seem to locate any detailed info that
talks about this problem.

Thanks
Paul Calabrese
pcalabrese at adelphia.net