Fwd: Re: (gnome) net-rhythmbox-0.4.8_2 (plus gstreamer and gconf)

Colin Walters walters at debian.org
Mon Jun 2 16:33:51 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 17:12, jimd at siu.edu wrote:
> Hmmmmm - NOT a good solution:
>
> 1) no documention ANYWHERE about this requirement

Sorry.  GStreamer is only partially integrated into GNOME, hopefully it
will be more so in the future.

> 2) setting audiosink to "ossink sync=true" has no affect

You misspelt it; it should be osssink, also, you specify the device like
so:

osssink device=/dev/dsp42

Oh, and by the way, if you have gnome-media installed, you can run
"gstreamer-properties".  It's not in the gnome menu for some reason.

> 3) after changing audiosink, long description text is no longer displayed so
>    I no longer know what values are accepted

That's bizarre.

> 4) I have two soundcards - one onboard (AC97) and one PCI; neither produce
>    any output afer setting "ossink sync=true"

See above.

> 5) I have to "hunt and peck" to find any documentation about gstreamer, none
>    of which is of any help to me

Again, hopefully that will be fixed.

> 6) I cannot find any documentation about gconf

Check out the gnome sysadmin guide.

> The "marriage" of net-rhythmbox with gstreamer and gconf may be "sweet" for
> development purposes, but I find it rather "sour" for general user usage from
> all points.
>
> The preferred solution would be to allow the user to choose which dps device
> to use from net-rhymthmbox. There should also be a default dps device chosen
> without user intervention.

Having it be specific to rhythmbox is the wrong thing in my opinion.  We
should just fix up gstreamer-properties and get it more integrated into
GNOME.  Once that's done maybe we could have a link to it in the netrb
preferences.

Hope that helps!