ports/60683: nautilus2 i386_set_ldt problem

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Dec 29 12:57:46 PST 2003

> From: Koop Mast <kwm at rainbow-runner.nl>
> Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:59:48 +0100
> Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome at freebsd.org
>
> On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 16:38, Kiril Kirov wrote:
> > On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Alexander Nedotsukov wrote:
> >
> > > Synopsis: nautilus2 i386_set_ldt problem
> > >
> > > State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
> > > State-Changed-By: bland
> > > State-Changed-When: Mon Dec 29 06:41:56 PST 2003
> > > State-Changed-Why:
> > > The message you provided says me that there is a big chance you make use
> > > of nvidia drivers. But this warning basicly should not affect nautilus.
> > > Could you provide more details how it don't start. May be you have
> > > core file or something? It's also interesting how do you start nautilus.
> > > Is it part of gnome session startup or let's say you just built
> > > x11-fm/nautilus2 and run it from xterm?
> > > If you start nautilus from cli you may try do it under gdb(1) and try
> > > to get backtrace in case it get crased.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=60683
> > >

> > Yes, I really use nvidia drivers (43.65). I built x11/gnome2 from ports
> > tree under 5.1. When I updated to 5.2-RC I tried to start gnome-session and
> > everything works fine except nautilus. It just crashes on start-up and
> > pops-up the gnome bug reporting tool. After that I try to run it from the
> > terminal but I get the same thing. I cvsuped ports tree, rebuild and
> > reinstall it, but there was no change. Changing the user also makes no
> > difference. I couldn't get much info from gdb, it just says:
> >
> > Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
> > 0x00000000 in ?? ()
> >
> > No core dump at all.
>
> Hi,
>
> I had the exactly the same problem, with 5.2-RC and gnome 2.5.x.
> Evolution 1.5 died with the same error so it was not a nautilus thing.
> I don't know where the fault is but "portupgrade -Rf nautilus2" solved
> it for me.

As a side note, this was due to a change in the libc ABI between 5.1 and
5.2. It has the potential to bite many apps, but nautilus and evolution
are two of them. (gkrellm is another.)

As suggested, rebuild nautilus2 and everything it depends on with
'portupgrade -Raf nautilus2.' Do the same for evo and gkrellm if you
have them.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)