Gnome 2.5 experience

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Mon Dec 29 08:38:21 PST 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 03:46, Nawfal bin Mohmad Rouyan wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I've installed gnome-2.5 on my laptop running freebsd-5.2 current (Sat
> Dec 27 16:31 2003). There are issues with the installation and I don't
> know if its gnome's fault or freebsd. I'll just list it down here:
>
> 1. I can't logout. When i clicked "log out" at Actions menu, nothing
>    happens. The mouse is working but if i click on anything, there is no
>    response. There is a gnome_segv running while running top from
>    another pc sshed to my laptop. I either have to press
>    "Ctrl+Alt+Backspace" or kill gnome_segv2 to get to the gdm login
>    screen.

Known Issue.

> 2. I can't use key-bindings on gnome-terminal while the menu bar is
>    hidden.

Known bug.  It's listed on the GNOME Development Branch FAQ page
(http://www.freebsd.org/gnome).

> 3. Desktop icons of 'Computer' and 'Trash' has a 'no permission to
>    write' emblems. See picture attached.

Known Issue.

> 4. Rhythmbox can't play music when sound server is enabled on startup
>    (esd is running). To play music, I need to either not enable sound
>    server during startup or kill esd.

Make sure you're using the esd output sink for gstreamer is you want to
use esd.

> 5. Razor config dir and log file is installed on / dir.

You might want to take this up with the razor maintainer.

> 6. I think this is an evolution bug but I'll just mention it here, if I
>    clicked on Tools->Settings, another evolution window will appear with
>    the settings window.

Not sure on this one.  You might want to search the Ximian Bugzilla
database.

Joe