where does galeon hide config?

Brian Gruber lists at bgruber.isa-geek.com
Mon Dec 1 19:43:00 PST 2003

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 07:02:53PM -0800, Randy Bush wrote:
> > > so where else is it hiding prefs and other config data?
> > gconf!  the settings are actually saved in ~/.gconf/apps/galeon.  or you
> > can use gconf-editor to manipulate them with a gui.
>
> stop galeon on both machines

I think your problem will be solved if you also kill gconfd-2 as well,
before you do:

>   cd
>   rsync -v -a -H -x -R --delete .gconf/apps/galeon dest:.gconf/apps/galeon/
>   rsync -v -a -H -x -R --delete .galeon dest:

you probably only need to stop gconfd on the destination machine.

someone can correct me if i'm wrong (and please do cause frankly i'd
like to know if i have it right), but as i understand it, gconf works
something like this: the applications only talk to gconfd, which
retrieves and sets the preference keys on their behalf in an internal
data structure.  periodically, gconfd saves its state to the xml files
on the filesystem (in ~/.gconf).  the only time it reads from those
files is when it starts up.

so was that completely wrong or what?  anyhow, i tried it on my computer
and killing off gconfd before making changes to the files seems to work.
starting galeon causes gconfd to start up again automatically.

brian