Gnome-2.2 Terminal *really* slow / weird since upgrading from Gnome-1.4

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Fri Apr 25 20:41:27 PDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 19:57, Stacey Roberts wrote:

> So is there some "known issue" with the new gnometerminal or something?
> I'm happy to leave things as they are - for two reasons:

Yes, it's a known issue with vte.

> 1] If there are plans for improvements in Gnome-2.4 (that will be
> catering for the current gnometerminal build) then I'd prefer not to
> complicate matters (or, do I misunderstand?) for progressing along that
> road-map

It's really up to you.  I'm planning to drop libzvt support in GNOME 2.4
(as GNOME is dropping it), but it won't matter if you're using it now.
The upgrade will simply ignore the request for libzvt support.

> 2] Oddly enough the best performing of the lot (my machines) is the puny
> P2 366MHz 128 RAM laptop that I've recently built. Its fine, so I feared
> that it might be something in the builds for the others. But they *were*
> all built the same way:

vte is slower than libzvt, even on my P4 2.4 GHz with 2 GB of RAM.  The
fonts you choose as well as the terminal size and background parameters
can help things.  My terminals are 80x24, white on black, with Bitstream
Vera Mono 11 point Bold.  I use gnlus avec color and FreeBSD ls sans
color.

In order to speed up certain things, I build with (build options) >&
logfile so as not to echo characters to the terminal.

Joe