Gnome 2.3 upgrade

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Wed Apr 23 23:38:48 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 02:09, Andrew Thompson wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 17:35, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 23:51, Andrew Thompson wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >

> > > I have upgraded to Gnome 2.3 using marcusmerge and I am getting the
> > > following error while loggin in.  Everything seems to be working fine
> > > anyway (well, except evolution 1.3.2 is spinning 100% cpu on the splash
> > > screen).
> > >

> > > "There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.
> > > Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not
> > > work correctly.
> > > The Settings Daemon restarted too many times.
> > > The last error message was:
> > > Failed to read from child process: Operation not supported by device
> > > GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log
> > > in."
> >
> > How are you starting GNOME (gdm, startx, etc.)?
>
> startx with gnome-session in my .xinitrc
>
> I have also created a new user with an empty home dir for testing.
>
> >   Do you have any errors in ~/.xsession-errors or on the console?
>
> Only this on the console:
>
> "** (gnome-panel:694): WARNING **: Unable to load panel stock icon 'go'"
>
> >   Did you have GNOME 2.2 working previously?
>
> Yep, worked fine.
>
> >   Have you tried moving ~/.gnome2/session out of the way, then starting GNOME?
>
> As above, I created a new user with an empty homedir, same error
> message.

Have you tried running gnome-settings-daemon by hand from a
gnome-terminal?  That output might prove useful.

You might also try doing ln -s aj /etc/malloc.conf as root.  This
shouldn't be necessary as there are other -CURRENT users testing GNOME
2.3, and none of them have complained yet.  But you never know.

Oh, also, what are the perms on /tmp?

Joe