xscreensaver problem

Glenn Johnson gjohnson at srrc.ars.usda.gov
Tue Apr 22 11:29:13 PDT 2003

I do not if this is a Gnome, XFree86, or FreeBSD-current question, but I
thought I would try here first.

First off, I am running FreeBSD 5.0-current (April 15, 2003) with Gnome
2.2, and xscreensaver 4.09.  I have a Matrox G550 graphics card.

The problem is that all xscreensaver hacks that use the GL visual fail
during screen blanking.  The screensavers look fine in the preview
window of the xscreensaver-demo interface.  Also, I can call them from
the command line and they will appear and execute just fine in a window.
But when they are used to blank the screen, or I hit 'Preview' from
the interface, they fail.  I get a message like the following (hand
transcribed):

xscreensaver: 0: child pid 29034 (cage) terminated with SIGSEGV

I am suspicious that it may be the graphics card although I thought the
Matrox cards were fairly well supported.  Since I know Gnome people use
xscreensaver I was curious if anyone else is seeing this.

Thanks.

--
Glenn Johnson
USDA, ARS, SRRC			 Phone: (504) 286-4252
New Orleans, LA 70124		e-mail: gjohnson at srrc.ars.usda.gov