Add new application icon to Gnome-2 Applications Menu

Mezz bsdforums.org reigncracks at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 18 14:19:28 PDT 2003

>Hello,
>
>On Fri, 2003-04-18 at 21:57, Mezz bsdforums.org wrote:
> > >Hello,
> > >      Thanks for the reply.
>

> > ><snipped>

>out
> > >how

> > >http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/
> > > >

> > >Saw that.., but couldn't believe that this is really the way to do
>this,
> > >given the simple method involved for Gnome-1.
> >
> > Hehe, yeah.. That's what most people are complaining about. :-)

>use
>has
> > >appearing

>menu.

> > >Thanks for that.., Tell me though.., I've already got linux-opera-6.12
> > >installed here. What is the best (read cleanest) way to remove this
> > >version and install linux-opera-7?
> >
> > Wait, don't do it right now.. nork has made the mistakes when he
>committed
> > my www/linux-opera7. I already have sent the PR to fix it. The best way?
>You
> > can use portupgrade or pkg_delete and 'make install' in the
> > www/linux-opera7. Be sure to backup the ~/.opera, then delete it. Copy
>the
> > bookmark (~/.opera/opera6.adr) back in ~/.opera/ and it will work fine.
> > explained in the pkg-messages, but nork doesn't add this file when he
> > committed it. Hopeful, one of committer will update linux-opera7
>quickly,
> > before I get multi-emails if everybody want to use it.
>
>Not to worry.., I always try to make sure I understand the procedures
>first, before attempting anything :-) Thanks for that heads-up though..,
>
>On the portupgrade option though.., Having just cvsup'd the ports
>tree.., shouldn't "pkg_version -v" then tell me that there is an update
>available for linux-opera?

Duh me! portupgrade won't work. It does work to me, because I modified
linux-opera7 in the linux-opera in my ports tree long time ago, but not now.
It has to be done by pkg_delete and do the 'make install'. Sorry. :-)

>If anything I'll look into this tomorrow, so as to ensure that whatever
>updates take place with enough time for the dust to settle.
>
>The machine in question is a laptop, but I've got other boxes (4) that
>I'd like to migrate to linux-opera-7, once I verify that flash and
>Acrobat Reader plugins (at least) work.
>
>There's a bit of web-dev that happens on my home network, and its good
>to test animation here before proceeding to client sites (testing with
>IE / Netscape from Win2K Pro at the moment, but it'll be nice to verify
>that Opera works too).
>
>I need Acrobat Reader plugin support to access technical specs and
>papers without having to download, then open in acroread (when on
>FreeBSD) afterwards..,
>

> > >I'm asking because I had some issues with uninstalling one version of
>an
> > >app and reinstalling a later version in the past.., Particularly where
> > >it comes to shared dependencies (operamotif) et al.
> > >
> > >Can I take it for granted that where you mentioned on freebsdforums
> >
> >(http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?s=9b43787a1839c584946536fd1f20f2f3&threadid=8714)
> > >that the plugins "just worked" for you.., this was indeed referring to
> > >Macromedia Flash (which version, by the way?) and Acrobat Reader?
> >
> > Yes, it just work by do this:
> > http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=523 (almost
>last
> > year)
> >
> > BTW: I have tested Flash 5 (same way above link) with linux-opera7 and
>it
> > just work, but I haven't test with Flash 6 and Java plugin, yet. I
>normal
> > disable the plug-ins, but not when I am over at www.apple.com/trailers/
>(use
> > galeon or mozilla with mplayerplug-in). :-)
> >

>Thanks for verifying this for me.., I'll monitor and proceed
>accordingly.

I will 'try' to test more plugins on linux-opera7, then I will post in
how-to over at bsdforums.org .. It will be only on linux-opera7, thought.