xscreensaver port forced to old libxml

Rolf Grossmann rg at progtech.net
Thu Apr 17 05:21:30 PDT 2003

Hi,

Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

>>In general, I'm wondering, when a software package supports both gnome1 and
>>gnome2, should we be supporting both versions or stick with gnome1 for the
>>time being?
>>

>It depends.  Right now, we try to support both if the application has
>two sustaining branches (e.g. gnumeric, AbiWord, etc.).  For ports that
>simply switch from GNOME 1 to GNOME 2, so do we (e.g. dia, gaim, etc.).

What about applications that support both GNOME 1 and GNOME 2 from the
same package? xscreensaver apparently does, which is why I was asking in
the first place, and the same goes for ethereal (which I'm currently
looking at).

>Given that GNOME 2 is becoming much more mature, I think it's time we
>ditch the GNOME 1 desktop.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do, so you certainly have my vote ;)

So, if I wanted to help, should I send in patches to convert ports
directly to GNOME 2?

Bye, Rolf