Gnome 2.2 failed after port update on CURRENT

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Mon Apr 7 11:55:39 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 14:46, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at marcuscom.com>
> > Date: 07 Apr 2003 12:28:18 -0400
> >
> > Okay, problem one is that your bitstream-vera package seems to be
> > missing or bad.  This is probably why your fonts look so screwy.
> >
> > Reinstall this port.  Also, remove Modules xie and pex5 from your
> > XF86Config file.  It also looks like gconfd-2 is failing to start.  Read
> > the error.  It gives you quite a few things to try.  A portupgrade -r
> > gconf2 might fix this.
> >
> > If this is on -CURRENT, make sure you've updated to the latest -CURRENT.
>
> The bitstream-vera, xie, and pex5 messages are not relevant, although
> this did make me take a minute to fix my XF86Config file.
>
> Re-installing gconf2 fixed up a LOT of errors, but I'm still dead in the
> water because I can't start up a gnome-terminal. I get a couple of other
> errors, but nothing meaningful except :
> Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1

Make sure you have the latest version of vte installed.

> I get the same message if I try to start "System Log". Most apps start
> up fine.
>
> I always seem to get this, but it is unchanged since before the melt-down:
> ** (gnome-panel:959): WARNING **: Unable to load panel stock icon 'go'

This is fine.  Everyone sees this.

> This one tells me I need to rebuild something, but I don't know what.
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/lib/libc_r.so.5: Undefined symbol "__thr_jtable"

Looks like you need to rebuild world.  I just rebuilt a few hours ago,
and I'm not seeing this when I launch gnome-system-log, for example.
Make sure you're not defining NOLIBC_R in /etc/make.conf, too.

> Before updating several gnome items, I got a lot of these and gnome
> would not even start. Now there is only one left. Wish I had a clue as to
> what it is that is making the bad call.
>
> So I'm getting closer. I'm just not quite there.
>
> Maybe I need to re-install the whole gnome 2.2 base set.

I'd rebuild and reinstall world and kernel from scratch first.

Joe