Gnome 2.2 failed after port update on CURRENT

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Apr 7 08:48:05 PDT 2003

After being on the road for a week, I was happy to see that the ports
were un-frozen. I happily cvsuped and did my normal portupgrade starting
with transcode which caused many other things, like Xft, freetype2, and
a host of others (but nothing specifically Gnome) to be updated.

After the update, Gnome was dead. It looks like a font problem with one
gnome-terminal showing up with itty-bitty characters (maybe 3 or 4
point) and most windows set so wide that it took many, many full-screen
width drag operations to get to the edge. No visible characters in any
Gnome window though some graphics appear. Non-Gnome applications
(OpenSSH-askpass, gkrellm2) are fine. (Note that gkrellm2 is gtk2 based,
but not Gnome.)

Then I looked at a log of the session and found a huge array of
errors. Most were related to the loss of the access to the configuration
database. I will attach the log.

Before I go back to my backup (and loose a bunch of stuff), I though I'd
try asking and hope that Joe or someone could pull a rabbit out of the
hat.

At this time, all ports EXCEPT evolution appear to be up-to-date. It is
possible that a disk corruption might have triggered this.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)