New build machine

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Sun Apr 6 16:18:18 PDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-04-06 at 19:08, Mezz bsdforums.org wrote:
> >Cisco has generously donated a machine to me to do build tests with
> >(only they don't really know it).  I'll get things setup this week if I
> >have time.  I'll create -STABLE and -CURRENT jails.  Anyone interested
> >in receiving failure logs, let me know what port(s) you're interested
> >in.
>
> I am insteresting for receive the failure logs as what you have and mostly
> relating to Gnome2 stuff. It's just for if I happen can help on something
> that I can solve, before you do. :-)

Well, that's pretty much what this machine will be doing.  I am willing
to add others' GNOME-related ports, but it isn't a fast machine: PIII
650 w/ ATA 33 drive and 512 MB of RAM.

> Is there somewhere I can find to read more about tinderbox? Right now, all I
> can find is http://people.freebsd.org/~mike/tinderbox.html .. But, I would
> like to have sort of how-to like handbook? I have a machine that is pretty
> fast and I am planning to switch my desktop machine to server desktop
> sometime when I get a new case. Current, I don't have case  for it (broke by
> shipped) and it has awful a lot of dust inside and need to avoid cats to get
> in it when I move to the different place.

I'd like to find a good set of howtos and scripts myself.  I'm planning
on building it from scratch with jail and some Perl scripts.  I know des
has one for building the src tree.  I may have a look at that.

> When, I switch and I am more happy to enable everything on debug mode
> (include -CURRENT), allow you have a shell account if you like to. It won't
> happen soon, but sometime within lesser than two months.
>
> My personal server machine is:
>
> MSI K7 Master-S MS6341-030 266 DDR 6341-S
> AMD AthlonXP 2000+/266 FSB
> 256MB 32x64 PC2100 DDR RAM (2x = 512mb)
> 36gigs ST-336706LW, Ultra160 SCSI Wide, 10k rpm (Seagate Cheetah)
>
> It was on sale, I bought all them together only for around $750 include
> Antec workstation case with cheap 8mb video card and free shipment like a
> year ago or so.

Nice.  Your machine will definitely beat mine.

Joe