No subject

Abner Gershon 6731955 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 00:37:29 UTC 2021

Appreciate your advice. There seems to be overwhelming enthusiasm for ZFS.
Maybe I am swimming against the current leaning toward UFS. My reasons are:
1. Have relied on dump backups to LTO tape for the past decade and am very
comfortable with dump and restore. Sure, tar would not be hard to learn but
will it reliably handle the samba files with names like "Bob's ideas about
marketing.doc" correctly?
2. I have 72 GB ram but am planning to run a Windows guest and Linux guest
with Oracle database on behyve as well as a few jails. Concerned ZFS will
eat up too much memory.
3. Not really convinced that "bit-rot" should be a concern. I understand it
is real. But, in the past 15 years I can't recall coming across a single
corrupted data (pdf, word doc, ledger, mp3, etc) file. I currently manage
about 4TB of data and it grows by about 500 or 600 GB per year. Have been
using ext3 and ext4 on debian linux for the past 15 years.