11.3: GELI attach: Wrong key despite correct passphrase

Alaksiej ac at belngo.info
Sun Aug 18 22:30:21 UTC 2019

Hello Marco,

To the best of my knowledge geli in 11.3 should be absolutely capable to
attach geom created in 11.1. So when the utility reports "Wrong key"
there's a big chance it is telling you truth, and something in the key data
you are supplying to it is wrong. Key data here can be either password, or
key(s), or password + key(s).

CyberLeo's suggestion is that maybe your 11.1-created SSD doesn't require
password at all. Which can be reasonable guess if, for example, both disks
were used in the same computer, and you were asked for your password just
once every boot. (Your initial message is not specific on how those SSDs
were used).

If it's not the case, then we should suspect key(s) part. Check the
/boot/loader.conf file on 11.1-created SSD: are there any geli_*_keyfile_*
lines?