geom->access problem and workaround

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Mar 12 18:07:29 UTC 2018

--------
In message <CANCZdfpPGXbKnMfuXWJFVk3xpk-hj8+tnsscbySeQTOrB2M-9w at mail.gmail.com>, Warner Losh writ
es:

>The storage layer generally doesn't expect higher-level locks around calls
>to it, and feels that it's free to sleep in the open routine for resources
>to become available. This is true across most 'open' routines (eg, tty will
>wait for the right signals, etc). In a world of removable media, I'm not
>sure that one can avoid this.

The original intent was that we would.

Things would probably have been clearer if I had called it
g_reserve() instead of g_access().

Removable media state was supposed to be a job for the driver(s
background polling), and the geom event queue was supposed to
do what needed to be done as a result of the g_access() calls.

The primary reason is that messing around with the geom topology
is a global operation, in order to keep things simple[1], and we
really don't want global locks held for any amount of time and
certainly not for mechanical-movement / failure-retry kinds of time.

The secondary reason was to be able to present a consistent
and precise view of the system *without* opening devices, so
that disk maintenance tools would not spin up all disks,
rattle all drawers and bang all doors before telling you
what you wanted to know.

>But I'm not sure that calling open on the underlying device is at all
>compatible with the design goal of access being cheap. I think you can't
>have both: either you open the device, and cope with the fact that open may
>sleep, or it looks like you'll have broken code. Once we've updated the
>access counts, we can drop the topology lock to call open.

So this is where it gets slightly tricky:  When you open /dev/foobar,
do you open the media or only a drivemechanism that *may* hold a media ?

For any normal "hard-disk", there is no difference.

But for floppies, CDROMs, ZIP drives, WORM drives, Robots-with-ATA-disks
and other interesting hardware, which were relevant when GEOM was
designed, and to some extent still are, you only open the drive,
and will have to find out next if it has a media in it or not.

In particular CDROMs forced this design decision, because the ioctls
to open & close the tray on CDROM drives operated on the media access
device node, and too many ports knew about that.

Compare that with a tape-changer, which has one device node for the
robotic parts and another for (each of) the tape drive(s).

If we want to have an architectural sound way to do slow operations
before any "user-I/O" is initiated, the right way to do so is to
define new BIO_OPEN and BIO_CLOSE  operation, and insist via asserts
than all BIO_{READ|WRITE|DELETE} are wrapped in these.

BIO_GETATTR should probably not require a BIO_OPEN/BIO_CLOSE.

Poul-Henning

[1] The alternative would be to have different sub-trees, each of
    which can be locked individually, but that requires a LOT of
    housekeeping and class-complexity in order to find out what
    those sub-trees actually are.