add BIO_NORETRY flag, implement support in ata_da, use in ZFS vdev_geom

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat Nov 25 17:38:23 UTC 2017

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 9:58 AM, Andriy Gapon <avg at freebsd.org> wrote:

> [...]
> >     >> A simple example.  I have a mirror, I issue a read to one of its
> >     members.  Let's
> >     >> assume there is some trouble with that particular block on that
> >     particular disk.
> >     >> The disk may spend a lot of time trying to read it and would
> still fail.
> >     With
> >     >> the current defaults I would wait 5x that time to finally get the
> error back.
> >     >> Then I go to another mirror member and get my data from there.
> >     >
> >     > There are many RAID stacks that already solve this problem by
> having a policy
> >     > of always reading all disk members for every transaction, and
> throwing
> >     away the
> >     > sub-transactions that arrive late.  It’s not a policy that is
> always
> >     desired, but it
> >     > serves a useful purpose for low-latency needs.
> >
> >     That's another possible and useful strategy.
> >
> >     >> IMO, this is not optimal.  I'd rather pass BIO_NORETRY to the
> first read, get
> >     >> the error back sooner and try the other disk sooner.  Only if I
> know that there
> >     >> are no other copies to try, then I would use the normal read with
> all the retrying.
> >     >>
> >     >
> >     > I agree with Warner that what you are proposing is not correct.
> It weakens the
> >     > contract between the disk layer and the upper layers, making it
> less clear who is
> >     > responsible for retries and less clear what “EIO” means.  That
> contract is already
> >     > weak due to poor design decisions in VFS-BIO and GEOM, and Warner
> and I
> >     > are working on a plan to fix that.
> >
> >     Well...  I do realize now that there is some problem in this area,
> both you and
> >     Warner mentioned it.  But knowing that it exists is not the same as
> knowing what
> >     it is :-)
> >     I understand that it could be rather complex and not easy to
> describe in a short
> >     email...
> >
> >     But then, this flag is optional, it's off by default and no one is
> forced to
> >     used it.  If it's used only by ZFS, then it would not be horrible.
> >

> > Except that it isn't the same flag as what Solaris has (its B_FAILFAST
> does
> > something different: it isn't about limiting retries but about failing
> ALL the
> > queued I/O for a unit, not just trying one retry), and the problems that
> it
> > solves are quite rare. And if you return a different errno, then the EIO
> > contract is still fulfilled.
>
> Yes, it isn't the same.
> I think that illumos flag does even more.

Since it isn't the same, and there's not other systems that do a similar
thing, that ups the burden of proof that this is a good idea.

>     Unless it makes things very hard for the infrastructure.
> >     But I am circling back to not knowing what problem(s) you and Warner
> are
> >     planning to fix.
> >

> > The middle layers of the I/O system are a bit fragile in the face of I/O
> errors.
> > We're fixing that.
>
> What are the middle layers?

The buffer cache and lower layers of the UFS code is where the problems
chiefly lie.

> Of course, you still haven't articulated why this approach would be better
>
> Better than what?

Well, anything?

> > nor
> > show any numbers as to how it makes things better.
>
> By now, I have.  See my reply to Scott's email.

I just checked my email, I've seen no such reply. I checked it before I
replied.  Maybe it's just delayed.

Warner