"deep" gpart backup?

Marcel Moolenaar marcel at xcllnt.net
Tue Jan 14 03:35:00 UTC 2014

On Jan 13, 2014, at 5:57 PM, Mark Felder <feld at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

>> gpart is an inherently low-level utility and what you want
>> is intended (i.e. by design) to be handled at an application
>> layer above gpart.
>>

> It's pretty low level, but it does seem to be missing some features I would expect in such a low level utility such as the ability to create partitions with custom IDs.

You can. While gpart provides common aliases that make it easier
to work on different schemes without having to know too many
details, you can still use the scheme-specific partition types
if you know them. For example:

	ns1% sudo gpart create -s mbr md0
	md0 created
	ns1% gpart show md0
	=>   1  2047  md0  MBR  (1.0M)
	     1  2047       - free -  (1.0M)

New let's create a NetBSD slice:

	ns1% sudo gpart add -t netbsd -s 1023 md0
	gpart: Invalid argument

Uh, ok. No alias know. Raw value it is...

	ns1% sudo gpart add -t \!0xa9 -s 1023 md0
	md0s1 added
	ns1% gpart show md0
	=>   1  2047  md0  MBR  (1.0M)
	     1  1023    1  !169  (512K)