Couple ?s about GELI resize (can it possibly be done online?)

Chad J. Milios milios at ccsys.com
Thu Nov 28 18:06:45 UTC 2013

Is it intentional/necessary that geli resize does not work while attached?

Or does it, and i'm just doing it wrong? I tried geli suspend, resize,
resume too to no avail. I'm using FreeBSD 9.2 and AES-256-XTS. Is there
a different block-chaining mode that would make it possible?

How hard would it be to implement online geli resize? I'm naively
imagining it'd be not-too-hard, though I figured I'd ask first if
there's any reason this won't work, or if it's already working in 10.0
(which i haven't taken the plunge to yet) or CURRENT, or if someone with
more familiarity and talent than i would heroically save me the trouble.

i'm using zvol->geli->zpool and i'd like to be able to upsize the zvol,
then the geli, then the zpool. zvol and zpool support this while busy,
and i'd like to avoid inserting a superfluous gvirstor layer if at all
possible.

Thanks,
-Chad