root mount failure in freebsd 9.2 encrypted disk!

John-Mark Gurney jmg at funkthat.com
Thu Nov 21 08:07:51 UTC 2013

h bagade wrote this message on Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 11:16 +0330:
> I've tried to encrypt my disk in freebsd 9.2 based on the following guide:
> http://cgarcia.org/posts/FreeBSD-FDE-Install.html
>
> but it failed to mount root and encountered the following error:
> mounting from ufs /dev/ada0p3.eli failed with error 19
>
> I have tried so many ways but all ends in above error. I have done the same
> process in freebsd 8.2 without any problem and I don't know why the error
> occurs in freebsd 9.2?!
>
> Does anyone have any idea about this or how I can fix it?

Did you see the ask for the passphrase on boot option for the
partition?  It's the -b option, and you can fix that w/:
geli configure -b /dev/ada0p3.eli

The guide you referenced does use the -b in the geli init command...

What does ? say that the mount root prompt?

Just so you know, don't be disappointed w/ the performance of geli
in 9.2...  I plan on back porting the changes I've made to HEAD back
to 9 at some point, and then you'll finally get decent performance..
Most of my changes will be in 10.0-R, we'll see if the my latest change
makes it in to 10.0-R or not...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579