documentation of GEOM data structures needed

Erich Dollansky erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com
Mon Nov 11 15:50:46 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 15:11:41 +0000
symbolics at gmx.com wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 06:32:16PM +0800, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 09:18:36 +0000
> > symbolics at gmx.com wrote:

> > > As I understand things, you believe that your filesystems are
> > > okay and you just want to recreate the MBR so you can try to fsck
> > > and mount
> >
> > this is the basic idea.
> >
> > > them? How did you set the disc MBR up in the first place? If you
> > > used the automatic scheme in the installer and you know the size
> > > of the
> >
> > I used the manual way creating 6 partitions.
>
> Do you know the sizes and order of how they were set up? They're all
> UFS2 or a mixture of other things too?

they are all UFS plus one swap. I have two other which should have the
same partitioning with the exception that the size of the disk differ
by a few sectors. This should only affect the end of the size of the
last partition.

> > > disc, you could reconstruct things that way. What does `gpart
> > > show' look like at the moment?
> >
> > It does not come that far
> >
> > gpart list da0
> > gpart: No such geom: da0.
> >
> > is all I get.
> >
> > My luck is that I have three disks which are the type but
> > manufactured with some months between. But their sizes differ a
> > bit. I think that I should be able to recover much by just
> > comparing the entries.
> >

> You can try looking at diskinfo -v da0 to see the numbers.

         512             # sectorsize
        500107860480    # mediasize in bytes (466G)
        976773165       # mediasize in sectors
        0               # stripesize
        0               # stripeoffset
        60801           # Cylinders according to firmware.
        255             # Heads according to firmware.
        63              # Sectors according to firmware.
        0000000000006121        # Disk ident.

One other disk shows the same data while the third one shows this:

        512             # sectorsize
        500107862016    # mediasize in bytes (466G)
        976773168       # mediasize in sectors
        4096            # stripesize
        0               # stripeoffset
        15504336        # Cylinders according to firmware.
        1               # Heads according to firmware.
        63              # Sectors according to firmware.
        TF0504YS02ZPBP  # Disk ident.

> I had a little play around making a test disc and mdconfig. If I get
> some more time this evening I'll see if I can write a tool to scan the
> disc and recover the partition data, it'd be a good exercise.
>
> There are a few programmes in ports/sysutils you should try in the
> meantime. I didn't find them useful in my tests but that might not be
> indicative of anything.

This I will do tomorrow.

Erich