How to disable all GEOM tasting?

Brooks Davis brooks at freebsd.org
Tue Jul 30 23:13:56 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 10:19:54PM +0000, Rotate 13 wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 16:41:14 -0500, Brooks Davis <brooks at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 05:14:04PM +0000, Rotate 13 wrote:
> >> How to disable *all* GEOM tasting of newly-attached devices?  I looked
> >> through the manuals, searched web, grepped sysctl -ad.  I only find
> >> sysctl to disable all tasting for graid (kern.geom.raid.enable).
> >>
> >> Example, if I have removable drive I want to pop in and access from
> >> userland with open("/dev/foo0", O_RDONLY); without various GEOM
> >> modules first trying to understand.
> >
> > As far as I know there is no way to do this, but the existence of
> > partition tables shouldn't have any effect on your ability to open the raw
> > device as long as you haven't configured something in devd or similar to
> > open those partitions.
>
> Any pointer to look in sources for where triggers the tasting?  I
> understand each GEOM has the taste code of its own...  but something
> must start it all when device is inserted.

The creation of a geom provider triggers the tasting.  I suppose you
could create a new driver to matches the device preferentally to umass
or what ever device it normally attaches it and provides a simple node
for it.  That sounds like a lot of work and you haven't explained why
you can't just let the tasting happen and ignore any partions that are
found.

-- Brooks