TRIM or no TRIM?

Karl Pielorz kpielorz_lst at tdx.co.uk
Wed Jul 24 10:43:25 UTC 2013

--On 24 July 2013 11:07 +0100 Steven Hartland <killing at multiplay.co.uk>
wrote:

> 9.1 is a bit old, 9.2-BETA1 or 9/stable will be able to tell you if
> indeed your SSD is reporting TRIM via:
> camcontrol identify <disk>

'bit old'? - if only freebsd-update handled updating to 'stable' (unless it
does?).

Anyway, the camcontrol runs on this ancient 9.1 system ;) and shows:

"
  data set management (TRIM)     yes
"

So it is supported by the drive - remembering the file system is mounted
from '/dev/raid/r0' - i.e. not the actual underlying drive). But everything
I've seen about geom etc. indicates on this version is should support
'trim' - it may well even be using it, but with the warning logged about
'disk does not confirm that it supports trim' - I'd rather be sure...

-Karl