GPT partitions missing, upgrading 7.4 to 8.3

Andrey V. Elsukov ae at FreeBSD.org
Mon Sep 3 06:06:59 UTC 2012

On 03.09.2012 9:34, Nicolas Rachinsky wrote:
> * "Andrey V. Elsukov" <bu7cher at yandex.ru> [2012-09-03 09:02 +0400]:
>> On 02.09.2012 19:47, Nicola Tiling wrote:
>>> I'm trying to upgrade 7.4 to 8.3, but I fail.
>>>
>>> On a third slice I have nine gpt partitions. Originally they were created under 6.2 with "gpt".
>>> The upgrade from 6.4 to 7.4 runs without problems, but now from 7.4 to 8.3 the partitions are not
>>> found. I can't see them under /dev and gpart list shows curious things, a fifth slice in the
>>> third and a EBR scheme instead of GPT. I have load the kernel modules geom_part_gtp,
>>> geom_part_mbr, geom_part_bsd. Is there a save way to install 8.3 or is it dead-end?
>>
>> GEOM_PART_GPT cannot be nested.
>
> Is there any technical reason for that? Would there be any problems if
> the nesting check is removed?
>
> 7.X worked just fine with a gpt inside a slice or partition.

GPT is part of the UEFI specification and our implementation should be compatible with it.
If you want use MBR, then you should use BSD label on the MBR slice.
If you want GPT - just use GPT without any nesting.

--
WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov