GPT partitions missing, upgrading 7.4 to 8.3

Andrey V. Elsukov bu7cher at yandex.ru
Mon Sep 3 05:02:39 UTC 2012

On 02.09.2012 19:47, Nicola Tiling wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to upgrade 7.4 to 8.3, but I fail.
>
> On a third slice I have nine gpt partitions. Originally they were created under 6.2 with "gpt".
> The upgrade from 6.4 to 7.4 runs without problems, but now from 7.4 to 8.3 the partitions are not
> found. I can't see them under /dev and gpart list shows curious things, a fifth slice in the
> third and a EBR scheme instead of GPT. I have load the kernel modules geom_part_gtp,
> geom_part_mbr, geom_part_bsd. Is there a save way to install 8.3 or is it dead-end?

GEOM_PART_GPT cannot be nested.
You should backup your data and recreate your partitions, then restore the data.

The hackish way: you can remove GEOM_PART_MBR and GEOM_PART_EBR from your kernel config,
and use GEOM_MBR instead. But you can still use GEOM_PART_GPT. In this case GEOM_PART_GPT will be
attached to the GEOM_MBR provider and nesting will not be detected.

--
WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov