Problem of using ssd+geom+ufs on FreeBSD 9.0

Nick Katsy nkatsy at zoral.com.ua
Wed Jan 25 09:39:51 UTC 2012

I have pair ssd-drives that I want to use in the raid1 (using ufs + geom).
If I create an ufs on a single drive (without mirroring),
I see that support for the trim in this case works properly.
But if I create a mirror, and trying to create on it ufs, I see in the
/var/log/messages:
---
TRIM flag on fs but cannot get whether disk supports TRIM
---

os:         FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE amd64
ssd drive:     OCZ-VERTEX2 1.33 60G
chipset:    Intel ESB2 AHCI SATA controller

# ssd info
camcontrol identify ada2
---
pass3: <OCZ-VERTEX2 1.33> ATA-8 SATA 2.x device
pass3: 300.000MB/s transfers (SATA 2.x, UDMA6, PIO 8192bytes)

protocol              ATA/ATAPI-8 SATA 2.x
device model          OCZ-VERTEX2
firmware revision     1.33
data set management (TRIM)     yes
---

# Ufs without mirror (newfs -U -E -t /dev/ada2)
tunefs -p /dev/ada2
---
tunefs: trim: (-t)                                         enabled
---

# Ufs with mirror (newfs -U -E -t /dev/mirror/ssd_mirror0s1)
tunefs -p /dev/mirror/ssd_mirror0
---
tunefs: trim: (-t)                                         enabled
---

#
mount -t ufs /dev/mirror/ssd_mirror0s1 /mnt
---
/var/log/messages
Jan 25 10:17:54 dev kernel: WARNING: /mnt: TRIM flag on fs but cannot
get whether disk supports TRIM
---

I know that a similar problem was described in the "freebsd-geom"
mailing list:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-geom/2011-August/004909.html.

Seems that no changes in the resolving of this problem has not appeared
yet?

--
Best regards,
Nick Katsy,