GELI devices produced with 9.0+ fail when mounted on 8.2, etc?

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Wed Oct 19 16:19:19 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 08:30:39AM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Patch added for the first suggestion here:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=161807 . I'll see if I can
> get around to the other two sometime before the end of the week.

I'm already working on this. Unfortunately 'upgrade' subcommand will be
much harder to implement, because in some cases we would need to rewrite
the data for the entire provider. I decided not to add upgrade. It also
doesn't buy us much. Even after upgrade you cannot switch to new
algorithms or to multi-key encryption, etc.

Instead I added 'version' subcommand:

	geli version [-l]
	geli version [prov ...]

Examples:

	# geli version
	kernel: 6
	userland: 5

	# geli version ada0 gpt/secret
	ada0: 5
	gpt/secret: 3

	# geli version -l
	FreeBSD version: highest supported GELI version:
	FreeBSD 6.0: 0
	FreeBSD 6.1: 0
	FreeBSD 6.2: 3
	FreeBSD 6.3: 3