disk partitioning with gmirror + gpt + gjournal (RFC)

Nicolas Rachinsky fbsd-mas-0 at ml.turing-complete.org
Tue Oct 18 10:08:29 UTC 2011

* Alfred Bartsch <bartsch at dssgmbh.de> [2011-10-18 11:41 +0200]:
> Thanks for pointing this out. I'm using filesystem labels (tunefs), no
> GEOM labels other than gmirror.

ufs labels are handled by glabel.

> After executing "gmirror remove gm0 <disk1>, the partitions on this
> disk show up as <disk1>p#, not as mirror/gm0p#, so there is IMHO no
> ambiguity. If you have experienced problems with gmirror - glabel
> configurations, I'm interested in more details.

But <disk1>p# contains the same filesystem with the same label as
mirror/gm0p#. If glabel sees <disk1>p# on boot before mirror/gm0p# it
may associate ufs/<name> with <disk1>p# instead of mirror/gm0p#.

This can happen with "glabel label"-labels, ufs-labels and gpt-labels.

If you want verbose names, you might be able to use gconcat (with one
component) since gconcat can use hardcoded provider names, which
should avoid this problem.

It would be nice to add the possibility to hardcode providers to
glabel.

HTH
Nicolas

--