gvinum + geli + gjournal

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 22 06:25:38 UTC 2011

Hello, Anthony.
You wrote 22 ноября 2011 г., 3:37:53:

> I have 2 questions regarding graid5:
> 1. Why hasn't it made its way to the base FreeBSD distribution yet?
  Because its code is ugly, almost non-understandable, raises some
questions, and lays from style(9) a miles away.
  I'm rewriting it now, to support same functionality (and to be
compatible with existing arrays), but as I didn't see any interest in
it (yes, I'm using it by myself, but this your message is first
"external" interest I could see for few years), I spend not much time
on it.

> 2. Has anyone done any rigorous testing with it?
  It depends on your meaning of word ``rigorous'' :)
  I'm using it for couple of years, I had several server failures in
 this time (panics), Ive chaged two failed drives for same size and
 after that migrate to larger HDDs (5x500Gb -> 5x2Tb) non-stop
 (almost, growfs need you to unmount FS), and I run some tests in VM
 after each change. But there is no formal test-suite (yet, but,
 again, see above about lack of "external" interest, which discourage
 me).

   One known semi-bug semi-feature. It cache writes aggressively
 (which allows it to have perfect linear write speed and avoid
 re-reads to compute checksum in most real-life cases), and
 in case of failures, this could lead to "unexpected softupdates
 inconsistences," as FFS doesn't send FLUSH commands at all, and module
 could not now, which writers should go synchronous, with minimal
 possible delay.

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev at FreeBSD.org>