gvinum + geli + gjournal

Anthony Chavez acc at hexadecagram.org
Mon Nov 21 09:12:22 UTC 2011

The subject describes the configuration that I would like.

# uname -a
FreeBSD metis.hexadecagram.org 8.2-STABLE FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE #0: Thu Nov
10 16:1
3:27 MST 2011     root at metis.hexadecagram.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/METIS
  i386

All 3 drives are 4096-sector Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 3TB USB 2.0
drives.  I partition them as follows:

# for d in /dev/da[345]; do
# 	gpart create -s gpt /dev/da3
# 	gpart add -t freebsd-vinum $d
# done

I then glabel them (which would be nice to have as they are USB drives):

# glabel extraid0 da3p1
# glabel extraid1 da4p1
# glabel extraid2 da5p1

Create the gvinum object:

# gvinum create external.gvinum

external.gvinum contains:

drive a device /dev/label/extraid0
drive b device /dev/label/extraid1
drive c device /dev/label/extraid2
volume external
   plex org raid5 256k
     sd drive a
     sd drive b
     sd drive c

I attempt to initialize geli and get an error:

# dd if=/dev/random of=/boot/keys/external.key bs=64 count=1
# geli init -s 4096 -P -K /boot/keys/external.key /dev/gvinum/external
geli: Cannot store metadata on /dev/gvinum/external: Invalid argument.

I get a similar error trying to create a journal:

# gjournal label -s 14G /dev/gvinum/external
gjournal: Cannot clear metadata on /dev/gvinum/external: Invalid argument.

It might be worth noting that if I geli init on /dev/da3p1, it succeeds,
I am able to geli attach, and then use those devices to create the
gvinum object.  But it stands to reason that I want to at least have
/dev/gvinum/external.journal, which I'm unable to create in any case.

Any thoughts on this?

--
Anthony Chavez                                  http://hexadecagram.org/
mailto:acc at hexadecagram.org                    xmpp:acc at hexadecagram.org