partition not accessible via UFS label (/dev/ufs/*)

Alexander Best arundel at freebsd.org
Tue Apr 12 22:47:41 UTC 2011

On Wed Apr 13 11, Andrey V. Elsukov wrote:
> On 13.04.2011 01:33, Alexander Best wrote:
> > i can access my root fs only via /dev/ada0p3 and not via its UFS label
> > (dev/ufs/rootfs). since gpart reports my partition layout is fine and i'm not
> > getting any warnings during boot up i'm a bit lost here.
>
> When you open ada0p3 provider for writing GEOM does spoiling and all
> attached to it consumers will self-destruct.

thank you very much. when i posted this issue a few weeks ago i was defenately
hitting a bug in geom, because the ufs label wouldn't even show up in single-
user mode with / mounted ro. the problem occured after i booted ubuntu from a
dvd and was then getting a corrupted gpt entry. i used 'gpart recover' which
then showed up some extra space available. after doing 'gpart resize', mounting
/dev/ufs/rootf did no longer work and i had to switch to mounting /dev/ada0p3.

it seems the issue has been fixed since then. mounting /dev/ufs/rootfs now
works again and GEOM doesn't destroy the comsumers.

thanks for pointing out the obvious. ;)

cheers.
alex

--