backup a partition table with gpart(8)

Marcel Moolenaar xcllnt at mac.com
Thu Nov 18 20:20:20 UTC 2010

On Nov 18, 2010, at 11:57 AM, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:

> BTW. I noticed that configuring label with 'gpart modify' for existing
> partition doesn't trigger taste, so new label doesn't appear in /dev/gpt/.

This is deliberate. "gpart modify" changes meta-data that does not
affect the existing geom and as such allows modification of on-disk
meta-data while the geom is open. The label in the partition table
is one such piece of information you can change safely. The starting
LBA or size are examples of things that cannot be changed while the
geom is open and for that we have different verbs.

The fact that this kind of information is being interpreted outside
of gpart and without the knowledge of gpart is where the problem is.

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt at mac.com