backup a partition table with gpart(8)

Andrey V. Elsukov bu7cher at yandex.ru
Thu Nov 18 15:51:49 UTC 2010

On 18.11.2010 14:32, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> How about an option to dump the table in XML format, and
> another option that creates a table from an XML structure?
>
> (I'm not a huge fan of XML, but in this particular case
> it might be useful.)

I do not think it is very useful, nor in implementation, nor
in usability. What about add a new standard command to geom(8)
to execute batch of commands?

> cat geom_class_cmd | geom <class> execute [arg0]
where geom_class_cmd is a list of commands for specific class.
This can get advantage for some geom classes, e.g.:

> gpart dump ada0 | gpart execute ada1
this command will make a copy of partition table ada0 to ada1.

Currently to implement this geom(8) and gpart(8) should be significantly
changed particularly in the errors handling.

So my question is to Marcel and Pawel - Do you have something
against these changes? Or maybe you can suggest something else?

--
WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov